Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Breaking My Practice of Tunnel Vision


gold digger lot , originally uploaded by InWiththeOldVintage.
I've developed a keen ability over the years to block out items that aren't in my specific genre of collecting. I've honed my skills so much, that I now have the ability to make it through an entire flea market or antique co-op in under an hour. (This does come in very handy when shopping with two little ones!) Until a few days ago, I never really thought about what I was missing. Now, I don't want to think about all of the treasures I've probably passed up. One of those treasures, most likely, was big lots of vintage buttons.

I've found myself, over the past few weeks, pouring over listings of vintage buttons on Etsy. I know, I know... I shouldn't be browsing when I'm supposed to be working, but you know you're guilty too. To my surprise, I really love vintage buttons. I've been buying buttons for a few years now, but always for a specific customer, and never with any intention of keeping them. A little light has definitely turned on in my head.

So, in response, I've been adding some fun vintage buttons to my shop. I'm enjoying pouring over boxes that have been in storage for years. Now, you can find great sets and small collections of buttons in my shop.

After over ten years of selling antiques, it's exciting to find a new interest. This week, I learned to turn off the tunnel vision. Next time I shop, I'll try to slow down, enjoy the browsing, and look for some new inspiration I may have been missing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails